Sunday, July 5, 2015

God bless America. Land that I love!

The 4th of July has always been one of my most favorite holidays.  I am a very patriotic person.  I will cry when a flag goes by in a parade or I am singing the National Anthem at a sporting event.
It seems to have become a tradition to go golfing up at Wasatch on the 4th.  This year found Neal and I and Jeff G. and Emmi up at Wasatch Park for our annual golf game.  It was probably the best scoring game I've ever played.  I found out that Emmi can hit her drive so far that it takes me two hits to get where her first hit landed and she can just about, if not, out drive her dad and Pa most of the time.  The four of us had a wonderful time.


I decided 9 was enough for me so I left Neal, Jeff and Emmi to do the back nine and went to Lila Mae's to visit with her and Susan.  Emmi called me later and said that Pa and her dad were now going to do another 9 and she was done.  So I drove up and picked her up and back to Lila's where Lynda Ann and the rest of the kids were just driving in from spending the morning at their Uncle Richard's.
Hayley had painted a special flag picture to hang in Lila's yard.  Yes, that is painted on paper.  Great flag Hayley Anne.
It was time to get dinner going so while all the tables were being set up and the food brought out, Les was standing over the barbeque cooking hot dogs and hamburgers.  Yes, it was a very traditional 4th of July barbecue.  We had potato salad, cut up fruit, corn on the cob, baked beans and all the trimmings to go along with the hot dogs and the hamburgers.




After dinner we had dessert.  Annie's 4th of July cookies and some rice krispie squares and then started the traditional Bingo game where EVERYONE wins all the prizes they could possibly wish for.  Susan always has a table full of prizes including piggy banks enough to go around for every one.  The banks are filled with either 1 or 2 dollars worth of nickles.

Then came the annual horse shoes.  We started out with Lynda Ann and I teaming up against Les and Jeff G.  I hate to admit it but they beat us!  While we were playing, Neal had a coupon for a free malt at the Dairy Keen in Heber where one of his students at UVU works part time.  While he was over there, who should he run into but Jeff and Mindy and their kids.  They mentioned that they had decided to go for a drive.  We thought they might come over to Lila Mae's but we didn't see them.  When Neal got back, Lynda Ann and I took on Les and Neal and beat them soundly!
It was an incredibly fun day and we so appreciate Lila Mae letting us all come to her house every year for this great holiday.  We all sat around and visited until the fireworks atop Memorial Hill began.  Just a few minutes before the fire works started it started to rain and it came down really hard but we all stayed put not wanting to miss the great show.  We found it refreshing in the rain but also found it hard to look up at the sky when the rain was falling in your eyes!  The rain only lasted for a few minutes and we were able to enjoy the whole show.  We got home about 11:30.  It was a perfect day and perfect company.
 I took this picture below because it looked like all these kids had been having a party!  Becky bought bottled root beer and the kids loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment