Thursday, July 3, 2014

Short Bread

This morning one of the guys at work brought in some short bread that he had made.  It was delicious for home made short bread.  The funny thing though, was when he was passing it around he was calling it ‘shortenin’ bread.  Well there is a huge difference between short bread and shortenin’ bread.  Shortenin’ bread is from the deep south and when he said it I totally went back in my childhood and remembered a song that Annette and I used to sing all the time.  I may not have the words exactly right but this is what I remember.  It is obviously a song from the South:

“Three little children, lying in bed

Two was sick an’ the other ‘most dead

Sent for the doctor, the doctor said

Give those children some short’nin’ bread

The Chorus goes:  Mama’s little baby loves short’nin’, short’nin’

Mama’s little baby loves short’nin’bread.

I know there were three or four more verses to the song but I can’t remember them.  I just thought it was funny that he was calling his Short Bread Short’nin’ Bread.  This was his Short Bread.  Doesn’t look anything like Short’nin’ bread that is for sure.

IMG_0871

No comments:

Post a Comment