Friday, July 18, 2014

Twenty-four great years together!

Yesterday, July 17th, Neal and I celebrated our 24th wedding anniversary.  I never remember people’s wedding anniversaries, I have a hard enough time remembering mine every year.  Neal never misses, but I’m afraid if I weren’t reminded, I might let it slip right by.  This year we got a text from Mallory, Lynda Ann and Ron and Judy Stanfield wishing us a happy anniversary.  We also got a card in the mail from Susan who celebrates her anniversary the same day.  I think they got married two years after we did. 

It has been a fast 24 years.  I look back and marvel at the storms we have passed through, the challenges that come with combining two families, trying to deal with all seven children’s needs, emotions, baggage and acceptance on both sides.  It has been quite a ride full of fun, adventures, unexpected and even some sadness.  It became very obvious to me that making the effort to sympathize with the other people in this situation is the first step to creating a positive, lasting relationship and it never ends.  It is a continuing day to day road that our family travels.  Neal and I have had to learn some very important needs as we’ve journeyed down this road.  We both needed to think about the other side of it, have realistic expectations, talk it out, be willing to compromise, patience (I’m still learning that one) and most important, no matter the situation keep moving forward.  As I’ve said before, the great thing about love is the more you give, the more you have to give!

Neal has been my strength through hard times and fun times.  Last night as we were settling in for the evening he said, “You have been everything I hoped for and more.”  What greater compliment could a wife (a second wife) get than that.  I’m not only being compared to Judy by the 5 younger children but I’m sure there might be a little thought process in Neal’s mind about how differently Judy and I operate.  I am grateful for his unconditional love and his enduring patience of me.  It is possible that we could make it to 50 years, but right now I am grateful for 24 and that we’ve made it this far.  I love you Neal and thanks for fixing the air conditioning in my Jeep.  I really will take the money out of savings just like I said I would if you want.  Smile  All my love, Jeannine

IMG_0958We always go to Market Street Grill for Dinner on our anniversary and this year Jim and Midge Frye came along.  After dinner we played some bridge.  Wonderful evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment