Saturday, July 26, 2014

These are a few of my favorite things!

Remember the song from the Sound of Music, “These are a few of my favorite things”?  As I was doing my usual Saturday morning projects, I looked around the house and I was so glad that I had air conditioning and all the modern inventions and conveniences that make my life so delightfully pleasant and easy.  Take the washer and dryer for example:

IMG_0979IMG_0980

I remember mother telling Annette and I to pull the sheets from our beds every Saturday morning, gather our dirty clothes along with all the laundry and haul it down stairs to the basement.  Mother would wash the clothes in a wringer washer, rinse them out in another tub and then run them through the wringers to get as much water out of them as possible and then haul them upstairs and out to the back yard where she would hang them on the lines to dry.  Even in the dead of winter you would see the sheets flapping in the wind.  Often times they would be frozen when we brought them in and we would have to drape them over drying racks downstairs to finish drying them.  How nice to walk to the laundry room put the clothes in the washing machine and walk away until I hear a pleasant little chime that tells me it is time to transfer them to the dryer.  Yes, the washer and dryer is one of my favorite things. 

Here are a few more.  A garbage disposal – how wonderful is that little invention!  Indoor plumbing with fresh running water right to your kitchen and bathrooms.  And this little wall thermostat that lets you set your temperature in your home to cool or warm depending on the season.  I have to say, these are a few of my favorite things!

IMG_0981IMG_0982IMG_0983

No comments:

Post a Comment