Thursday, September 2, 2010

Ah, those glorious days of high school!

This is Emmi at 14 and just beginning her 4 year high school career.

This is myProvo High School Sophmore picture - 1959


I just received an email from our eldest granddaughter, Emmi. Her email so reminded me of my first year of high school. Anticpation, anxiety, excitement and, of course, the greatest fears of not finding you locker or your classroom and/or not being able to get your combination to work. Like most things in life, once you get the routine mastered then it is all so easy and you look back and wonder what the nerves were all about. Didn't we all have dreams where we couldn't find our locker or we would find it but nothing would work. Also the dreams of getting to school and finding you are not completely dressed! Or trying to get ready for school and not being able to find your slip or even worse, your dress! I look back with fond memories and loved those years. But, I love where I am in my life now and have no desire to go back and repeat them. And, of course, the question always seems to come up, "Would I do the same thing again if I had it to do over?" Yes, absolutely. I wouldn't change anything.

Here is Emmi's email:

"Hey GAM! I just read you blog, it is very nice. I have started High School, and I couldn't be happier. I have Seminary first thing in the morning on my B-Day, and English on the S-Day. Yeah, our schedule is the B-S schedule. I really don't think they thought that one through all the way, it's like they are trying to have students mock them. I absolutely love my Seminary class. I have a few friends in there and a few people from Young Women's in there. My first day there, the seminary student body president came up to me and was very nice. Then, a teacher came up to me. He asked what my name was, I told him Emmi, and he said, " Oh, like the Academy Award?" . I told him that I was named after my great grandmother, but I always feel special when they announce the Emmy awards on TV. I am also taking all honors classes. I have noticed that a lot of the people that were at the charter school are in most of my honors classes. The only problem that I have is that there are way to many people. We have over 2000 people, nearly 2500 is what I heard a couple of times. We also have over 500 Freshman! It takes me a long time to get to a class that is right across the hall from my locker. But, overall, I really like it there. Love you tons, see you soon, Emmi Girl"

As I've looked back at my report cards from high school, I have to smile. I must have been quite the 'Chatty-Kathy'. My report cards were full of A-'s and B+'s. Apparently they would have been higher but comments by my grades were: "Grade lowered for talking too much in class", "Jeannie needs to learn to not talk in class", etc. I honestly don't remember being such a little socialite but apparently I was. Even some of my seminary grades were lowered just a bit for talking. I think Emmi will be a great student and continue to do very well and I'm sure will not be prone to be as talkative as her gam was.

No comments:

Post a Comment