Monday, September 6, 2010

Music - a wonderful gift!

Me and Annette - taken after one of our performances. Annette was 5 years older than I.
Hey Abby, this is what Gam looked like without wrinkles! :-)
This last Sunday was Fast Day. As a presidency we decided that we would always be in our home ward for our three hour block. It was nice to actually go in the same car with Neal to our meetings and be able to sit together and enjoy the meeting. Neal likes to sit at the front of the chapel and like most people we have a particular area that we usually gravitate to. As the meeting began, I noticed that there was no one sitting up on the stand to lead the singing. The opening announcements were made and Brother Elder sat down. I looked at the Bishop who had just noticed that Pat (our chorister) was not there. We caught each others look of panic. He nodded to me and I pointed to myself with the question; you want me to go up there and lead?" It was a definite "Yes" nod. So I quickly grabbed a hymn book and stepped up to the front just as the intro for the hymn was completed. I led the singing for the opening song and as we were singing the last phrase of the last verse in walked Pat. As I sat back down I was grateful for the many hours of music lessons my mother paid for by working an extra job at night cleaning an office. She wanted my sister, Annette, and I to have music a part of our lives. Working the second job she was able to buy a piano and pay for piano lessons for me and singing lessons for Annette. If there was one bond that held Annette and I together through our growing up years it was music. I cannot begin to speculate the hours and hours we spent at the piano with me playing and her singing. Since Annette passed away I haven't kept up on my piano skills but music continually comes to play in my life. Singing in the choir, singing in duets and quartets, leading the singing and even when we go to Mexico there are ample opportunities to play for Sacrament meeting. I continue to marvel at the wisdom and sacrifice made by my mother and how it has benefited my life over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment