Thursday, September 9, 2010

A Walk Down Memory Lane

7 years old


Fall is absolutely my favorite season of the year. I love the cool nights, the beautiful colors of nature bringing in the winter season and the wonderful memories the season always brings with it. Coming home from work today I felt the crisp fall air and noticed a couple bushes on Mt. Olympus already beginning to turn red. My mind took be back in time to those fall days when I was a little girl full of imagination and make believe. One of my fondest memories was playing in the fall leaves that had drifted to the ground. I would design a house out of the leaves by raking them into rows representing walls of my imaginary house. I would have quite a house plan by the time I was finished even having door ways between rooms and a front and back door. Then I would get all my doll furniture and my dolls and haul them outside placing the furniture in the appropriate room. Then the dolls would be put in their beds or on a chair, or the high chair. I would play for hours in my pretend house of leaves being the mother taking care of all my 'children'. (Who, by the way, all had names.) My dolls were very real to me.
I have to add that raking the leaves into rows also proved a win/win situation for my mother because it made it very easy to bag them and leave them out for the garbage pick up. We had huge trees along the front of our home so there never seemed to be a shortage of leaves and they always seem to last until the first snow fall. I would love to have a picture of one of my leaf houses but the picture will only have to be in my memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment