Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Sewing projects

Baby blanket

Christmas
Christmas


Apron for Lila Mae




Apron for Lila Mae



My new sewing table that Lynda Ann surprised me with and put together for me. I came home from a meeting and there it was all put together. AWESOME!! Thanks, Lynda Ann!


The holidays are just around the corner and I am in a race again this year to get as much done by November 1st as possible. I like to have ALL my sewing completed and wrapped so that I can thoroughly enjoy the holidays without the stress of trying to get things done at the very last minute. When I am preparing Christmas for 19 grandchildren and children and spouses it can be overwhelming if I don't start early. I have all the pajamas made for the grandchildren, I am now doing the final touches, such as hemming, buttons and button holes, elastic in the waist, etc.


I also had a couple of added projects. One was a couple of aprons that Susan had me make for her mother. Lila Mae's birthday is in October and I'm not sure if Susan is giving the aprons to her mom for her birthday or having her wait until Christmas. But it really matters not. When someone asks me to do something, I usually get right at it. I'm not one to let moss gather under my feet. Also a baby blanket to be made for a baby shower and numerous other projects.


I have such wonderful memories of waking up early in the mornings during the months of October, November and December and hearing mother's sewing machine just a whirring away. Every once in a while I even might hear a swear word or two. Oh how mad she would get when the thread broke and she had to stop and re thread the needle. I believe her term was "Dammit all to Hell." Yup, that was it. And she meant it. I would just lay in bed and smile. Mother worked a job that went from Monday through Friday and Saturday mornings. The only time she had for sewing was 5 a.m. and late into the evenings. Thanks mom, for all the nightgowns, Christmas dresses, rag dolls, doll clothes and stuffed animals. Some day I shall have to relate the story of the stuffed bears and oh yes, the Christmas ties she made for all the son-in-laws. Classic stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment