Sunday, January 9, 2011

A lesson my mother taught me.

“To Jeannine,

Provo is a small city.

It is in Utah.

Many people live in Provo.

There are many families.

Families are made up of : Mothers, Fathers, Sisters, Brothers.

Families like to visit.

They like to visit one another.

Salt Lake City is a BIG city.

It is in Utah.

There are roads from Salt Lake City to Provo.

Many cars travel these roads.

Some of them go from Salt Lake City to Provo.

They make it easy for people to visit their families in Provo.

They visit their families because they love them.

Do you visit your family?

Do you love your family?

Some people are on foot.

Some people have cars.

People with cars can ravel much faster than people on foot.

Telephones are in homes.

These are to help families in Salt Lake call families in Provo.

They want to find out if they are well and happy.

People in Provo call Salt Lake City often.

People in Salt Lake City are never home.

Little people can answer phones.

Little people have poor memories.

They forget to say:  Grandma called or Aunty called and/or Somebody called.

Families are important.

They need our love, because they love you.

A visit in person, or a telephone call or a letter will show our love for your family.

Keep in touch.

A Nonny Mouse”

This is one of my most beloved and favorite letters I ever received from my mother.  There is a wonderful message in her little piece of writing and it certainly made me do some serious thinking about what really is important in this life.  I do remember when it came in the mail.  Jeffrey was starting Kindergarten and Lynda Ann was two.  I was serving as the Young Women’s President, for the first time and feeling a bit overwhelmed at all my responsibilities.  Mother’s note came just at the right time.  It reminded me that no matter how busy I was or thought I was, family connections are needed and the most important thing we have.  Don’t let days and weeks slip by without making contact with each other.  Even if it is just to pick up the phone and say “Hi”.  I cannot tell you how many times wish I could pick up the phone and call mother, or jump in the car and run to Provo and sit at the kitchen table and talk.  Just a gentle reminder that we ALL NEED EACH OTHER and I NEED EACH ONE OF YOU!

P.S.  Don’t you love her clever sign off?

No comments:

Post a Comment