Sunday, January 16, 2011

A FAMILY NAME TO BE PROUD OF

As a family, we often laugh at how many people Neal knows and how often – seems like every single time – we go somewhere that Neal runs into someone he knows.  I’m not talking about across town or in our neighborhood or ward, I’m talking about as far as Japan and Hawaii, Mexico and California.  You name it and I can almost always come up with an incident of Neal running into someone.  Remember the time Neal and I went to Mallory’s flute concert at the Conference Hall and ended up sitting in back of his cousins and beside a young man who used to live in Parley’s ward.  Remember I reported that at the temple, last Tuesday, I was doing some initiatory work.  The sister performing the ordinance said, “Do you know Neal or Nelden?”  I told her I certainly did and that I was married to Neal.  She was all excited, gave me a big hug and told me how much she loved the Maxfields and had a crush on Neal all through junior high and high school. 

Today, while visiting a Relief Society Meeting, a sister in the ward came up to me and said, “Are you Neal’s wife?”  I told her I was and she proceeded to tell me that she used to teach Neal and Nelden voice lessons!  She also told me how much she loved and admired the Maxfield family.  The scenarios are endless.

I’m certainly grateful that the Maxfield’s have a good name and that most of them honor their name and their heritage.  It is interesting also that people don’t remember the Maxfield’s for the candy business, they remember them as a family of musically talented children with parents who loved the gospel and lived it.  I hope all of you, the Hintze’s, Gertson’s, Maxfield’s, Cutler’s, and Goss’s, will carry your last names with pride, passing that pride and heritage on to your children.   

No comments:

Post a Comment