Thursday, January 13, 2011

Answers to some questions asked

Apparently my posting of the old pictures brought up some questions from Lynda Ann and her girls.  The sad thing is that I didn’t know the answer to them and I became curious myself.  So I’ve done some research and have found some of the answers to the questions about my father and my mother.

The questions asked were:  How old was I when my father died.  How did my mother and father meet and if I had any memories of him.  So here goes. 

My father was born on May 10, 1904 in Midway, Utah.  My mother was born November 27, 1906 in Seattle Washington.   My father was two years older than mother.  She married my father when she was 22 years old and he would have been 24. 

How did they meet?  A cousin of my mothers introduced her to my father through letters.  My father was serving in the Navy and when he arrived at port in Seattle, he came to see mother.  They had a date that night and many nights to follow.  The following year when the ship docked again, my mother had made up her mind that she was going to marry him.  They eloped to a little town called Everett.  It was forty miles from Seattle.  They were married on August 3rd, 1929.

My father died on January 18, 1952.  I would have been 7 years old.  However, you have to remember that my mother and father were divorced when I was about one or two years old.  Mother realized that she could not compete with his drinking.  He also became abusive with us children.  Probably the picture of me with him on the porch was one of the last times he was ever around our family.  I have no memories of him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment