Thursday, December 9, 2010

Salt Air and the Great Salt Lake

Lynda and I had a planned activity, so I drove out to Salt Air to meet her. As I was waiting for her to get there, my mind took me back to my childhood and memories of the once very famous and great place. I remember when I was about 9 or 10 (around 1953 or 54), my Aunt Edith and Uncle Johnny and their two boys came to visit us from Seattle. They had never been out the to Great Salt Lake so they piled me and my two cousins, Jackie (who was my age) and Jimmy (one years younger) and drove us out to Salt Air. I don't know what the speed was in those days but it seemed like we drove for hours and there was not much to look at. It was crowded with tourist and locals, but we were able to find a spot on the beach. I remember swimming in the lake and not sinking. The salt content was so dense that you would just float in the water. I also remember that I couldn't wait to get under one of the beach showers to get the salt off my skin. It was a fun place to go and was, for years, a great tourist attraction. Now, you rarely see anyone in the water. It is mostly an attraction for sale boat enthusiasts.



No comments:

Post a Comment