Friday, December 31, 2010

One of my ‘old age’ moments

Emmi wanted to have a sleep over while Tucker and Jamie were here.  It was arranged that her dad would bring her in with him on his way to work.  I would meet them down town at his office and pick her up.  They would arrive at Jeff’s office at 7:00 a.m.  I got up at 6:15, dressed, grab the car keys and ran outside.  Neal’s car isn’t parked in the garage and it had snowed during the night so his car was dusted with snow.  I pushed the remote to the car to unlock the doors and tried to open the door, but to no avail.  I went around and tried all four doors and they were frozen shut!  I couldn’t believe it.  I pushed the remote again just to make sure that the doors had unlocked but they would not open.  I must have been out there for about 5 minutes and finally decided I was going to either have to get Neal to figure out how to unfreeze the doors or wake Tucker up and get him to move his car so I could get my Jeep out of the garage.  However, if Neal’s doors were frozen then the likelihood of Tucker’s car doors being frozen was 100 per cent.  I went back in the house and heard Neal moving around so I ran upstairs and told him what the problem was.  He dressed quickly and came outside and he couldn’t get the doors to budge.  All this time I had the remote in my hand.  Neal suggested that I get the hair dryer.  By this time I’m a bit frantic because I don’t want Emmi to have to wait for me.  I grabbed the hair dryer and Neal found a long extension cord and I began blowing the hot air on the driver’s side door to see if we could get the ice to melt from around the door.  After a minute or two I handed the remote to Neal and made some comment about “keep trying to unlock them”.  Well, he pushed the unlock button on the remote and tried the door and it opened right up.  We couldn’t believe it!  Then we discovered that I had been pushing the lock instead of the unlock!  The doors were fine all along and certainly were not frozen shut!  Good thing I married a man who is patient and a good sport.  I have to add that I wasn’t a complete idiot.  In comparing our remotes, my unlock is at the top – just opposite of Neal’s.  So maybe you can give me credit for it being an honest mistake?  I was only 5 minutes late picking up Emmi so she didn’t have to wait too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment