Thursday, December 9, 2010

Christmas Cactus







One day in December of 1990 (my first Christmas as Neal's wife in a new neighborhood and knew ward), I heard a knock at my door and there stood Gretta McPhee. She lived a few houses up the street from us. She had a Christmas Cactus in her hand. She didn't come in just handed me the cactus and said how much she loved hers and hoped I would enjoy this one. She told me that they always have gorgeous red blooms on them around Christmas time. She hoped it would always make me smile and feel good. That was my first neighborhood Christmas present from a neighbor I hardly knew. It has been almost 20 years and I still have that cactus plant and like Gretta said, it blooms for me every year at Christmas. When I see the first little buds breaking through I always smile and remember sweet Gretta and her gift to me so long ago. It does make me feel good and it always makes me smile when I see those blossoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment