Monday, December 6, 2010

An answer to prayer

On November 30th, we had our Stake Relief Society Leadership Meeting. Part of the program consisted of President Parry and I saying a few words. As President Parry was ending his remarks, he told the Relief Society Presidents that he wanted them to do three things. 1. To pray and ask who they could do something for in their ward and what they should do. It could be a note of encouragement, a loaf of bread, a phone call, an invite to church, etc. Whatever they felt inspired to do. 2. They were to enroll one of the sisters in relief society to either take on the task or join them in accomplishing the task. 3. When they had completed the request at the end of December, President Parry wanted a brief note of what they did or what their experience was.

This task wasn't given to our stake leadership, just the ward leaders. As the days went by I thought more and more about it and decided that I wanted to be a part of this experience. So began my journey of each day asking for direction. When Neal and I went in for tithing settlement I even asked the Bishop if there were any special needs in our ward and he said there was not. I was a little disappointed but remembered that Pres. Parry had said, "Ask the Lord" not the bishop. So continued my prayers.

On Sunday we had our Fast and Testimony meeting. A young girl stood up and in her testimony she said how she was teaching her children to not be caught up in material things and that staying home and popping corn and watching a movie was just as good as going to the theaters, etc. She then said, "Sometimes we have to decide on whether we have milk in the fridge or gas in the car." That statement hit me like a thunder bolt. There was my answer that I had been praying for. After the meeting I cornered my secretary and told her my experience and asked her if she wanted to do this with me. She jumped on board. We don't know exactly what we are going to do yet, but it will be in secret. We are thinking of doing something every month for the whole year. I will keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment