Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A talk given in Sacrament meeting

The subject matter was rejoice and give thanks.  I won’t record the whole talk but wanted to record this small part of my talk.  A memory I shall long remember.  Thank you Maren for creating this memory.

President Hinckley has said, “Enjoying the journey of life is often a matter of attitude.”

Some years ago our family decided to do a family ‘ropes course’. A ropes course is a series of events that involve overcoming challenges of height, individual problem solving and group problem solving. It also serves a purpose of helping each individual focus on a final goal at each event and not dwelling on your feelings of inadequacy or fear. Some events are done in twos, and some in groups.

One of the events I want to share with you was one that involved two people. The facilitator gave us the option to step forward and volunteer and then chose someone to do the event with. Our daughter stepped forward and said she would like to do it with me.

Now, I like my feet planted firmly on the ground and I don’t like things that aren’t solidly attached. For example, Ferris wheels terrify me because they swing all the time.

With a lot of reservation, I stepped forward and we began the process of being harnessed for safety. Just as we were to begin, Maren looked at me and said, “Mom, we can do this together! Enjoy the journey!”

Maren and I are the same height and weight. I had already determined that there was no way we could possibly do this and Maren had determined that we would. Quite a contrast.

The first pole to reach was fairly easy. It was about 7 feet above the ground but we could climb a rope ladder and then climb on the horizontal log. Our next step above us was a large net that we could climb to get us to the log about 8 feet above. We had to support each other as we stood to reach the net, swing our legs up into the net and then pull our bodies up onto another log. Maren got herself on the net. I tried but realized I didn’t have the strength to pull myself up. Maren reached down and grabbed me and literally pulled me up on the net. We climbed the net to the top and then had to swing our legs up over the pole to position ourselves for the next tier. Again I needed Maren’s help.

We sat on the log for a moment to catch our breath. I was ready to call it good but Maren’s positive and determined outlook would not allow me to give in. She wanted to finish and finish with me.

There were three or four more challenges as we worked our way to the very top log where we stood together, holding hands and crying tears of accomplishment and excitement. We rejoiced in our completion of a hard journey. We had been tethered together in determination, purpose and trust. I put my trust in Maren and she sustained me.

In the Old Testament one of the words translated as “hope” literally means “a cord” or a rope or tether. When we tether ourselves to someone we expect the same destiny.

I have looked back at this experience with awe and gratitude for a daughter who wouldn’t give up, who loved me enough to stay with me all the way and get us both to our goal.

I learned many important principles from this experience. One of them was that all of the time we were doing this event, we had a safety harness. But I became so intent on the problem and the journey that I forgot about the harness. I didn’t need to worry falling or getting hurt. Isn’t that sometimes like our journey through life? We get so caught up in the problems or challenges that face us that we forget we are tethered and harnessed to our Father in Heaven. He is there to help us, to pull us up, to lift us up.

No comments:

Post a Comment