Sunday, August 22, 2021

Ward Cultural Evening

Our ward had a cultural event last Saturday night.  Of course, Neal signed us up to represent Hawaii.  He was all excited about all the stuff he wanted to do.  The more he developed his idea the more I saw my "to do" list growing and growing.  I will be honest and say that I was not enrolled and was not happy about spending my whole Saturday running to stores, floral shops and restaurants to find all the many things he wanted to display for his beloved Hawaii.  Then to top it off he wanted to play his ukulele and have us sing, "I Want to go Back to my Little Grass Shack in Hawaii".  You have to realize there are a lot of Hawaiian words in there that Neal can rattle off without a problem but that I have no idea how to say.  For example:  Kealakekua or kanes, komoma'i no ka'ua ika hale welakahao and last but not lease Humuhumu, nukunuku a pua'a.

All of those words are in the song that he wanted us to sing.  Well the stars were lined up for me and as the evening went, there just wasn't time for us to sing our song.  Darn.  Maybe in the next life!!

All in all, it ended up being a very expensive evening for Neal by the time he bought the pulled pork, two orchids, two birds of paradise and two ginger flowers, plus all the fruit that is known for Hawaii.  But, he was happy with the display and to be able to share his love of the islands.

Of course, matching outfits!!
He also wanted to get Hawaiian lei.  He found out the only place who made and sold them was a Hawaiian shop on the West side of the valley and he didn't want to run out there to get them so gave up on that idea.  Plus they were not cheap, either!  

ALOHA!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment