Friday, October 8, 2010

Things I didn't know!

Lynda Ann and I were just chatting about the kids saying they didn't feel well so they could, hopefully, stay home from school and how hard it is sometimes for a mother to determine if the child is really sick or just doesn't want to go to school, thus, the "I don't feel good".

I mentioned to her that I didn't remember that she or Jeff ever tried to play hooky very much. She just laughed and shared me a couple of stories about wanting to stay home from school and trying to pull the wool over my eyes, pretending she was sick. She said one time when she was in junior high she didn't want to go to school. In our dinning room we had a big chandelier. Lynda, wanting to fake a fever, took a thermometer and put it up in the light fixture to heat up the mercury. She said she left it there too long and the thermometer broke leaving broken glass and mercury around the light bulb. She had to wait until I wasn't around to get it all cleaned up. Obviously, she didn't miss school that day.

Another story she shared with me was when she was in grade school. She convinced me she was sick and stayed home. I was the teacher's aide at the school and apparently left her home while I ran around the corner to the school to get some work and tell the teacher I couldn't stay that day. After I left she made some vanilla cake batter to eat. (One of her favorite things.) While she was eating it, she heard me coming in the door earlier than anticipated. She knew she would be in trouble so she took the batter and hid it in her closet. The funny part is that she forgot about it and found it weeks later all moldy and disgusting.

She thought I had heard both these stories, but they were news to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment