Friday, October 29, 2010

Just some thoughts.

Autumn is a mellow and beautiful time. The colors I can see outside my window are vibrant and gorgeous. I especially love the trees that have red burgundy leaves scattered in contrast with the bright green ones. There is something restful about this season. The harvest is in, and the Christmas rush hasn't yet begun. The earth has quit producing and is following its inevitable pattern, gearing down for winter rest.

The trees are letting go of their leaves, so snow will slide easily off the branches and not break them. The grass and flowers stop growing, hibernating, willing to just be until Spring's warm sun wakes them again.

Most of the birds have flown south except for the geese who live in the ponds around us. I miss having my bedroom windows open and waking up early in the morning to the sounds of the birds singing. (Geese don't sing they just 'honk'. ) But, there is a rightness in the change of seasons. All nature cooperates. There seems to be no resistance to the timing or the flow of it.

My life has seasons too, but I haven't always cooperated or enjoyed them. As a young mother, I often wished my little ones would quickly grow past the stage of waking me up at night and needing my attention every minute. Then, before I knew it, the children were grown, and I again resisted the obvious signs of that season.

How much more joyful life would be if we surrendered to and enjoyed with gratitude each season as it comes. I need to recognize the beauty of these golden years I'm in, showing gratitude and embracing this new season for the unique joy it brings.

I'm grateful for the abundance of my life. I am grateful for the things that make my life so good - for the beauty of the earth and the blessings of nature, for fresh food and air, for pure water, for wholesome vegetables, grains, nuts, and fruits. Those of us who live with such abundance need to constantly be aware of it and not take it for granted.

I'm also thankful for technology and that I have the world at my fingertips without even leaving the house. To have Derek in China and be able to talk to him without horrendous charges that used to accompany long-distance calls makes me even more grateful to live in this day of breathtaking technology.

I will recognize my GREATEST blessings:
When my grandchildren are making a racket and tearing through the house, I am going to thank my lucky stars that I have grandchildren to love, pamper, learn from and enjoy.

When I have too much to do, too many presents to buy, or too many family events to attend, I'm going to take a deep breath and re-think the whole scenario. I will tell myself to be thankful for the great blessings of my family! When I feel overloaded, I'm going to think of grand children's arms around my neck. I'm going to remember a lifetime of family interactions that give life meaning and purpose.

Most importantly, I'm going to remember that my greatest blessing is that I KNOW the Source of all my blessings.

There is so much joy to be found when we see blessings for what they are, recognize the good, and appreciate the upside. It's great to be alive, right her, right now, today!

No comments:

Post a Comment