Wednesday, October 13, 2010

My Sister, Lila Mae


I'm guessing that Lila Mae (middle) is about 18 or 19, Annette is 10 or 11 and I am about 5 or 6.
I LOVE this painting of my two sisters and I. Annette on the left, who died about 36 years ago, the middle is Lila Mae and I'm on the right. There is five years between Annette and I and thirteen years between Lila Mae and I. Lila Mae's birthday is tomorrow. One of the funny things about her birthday is that I never can remember if it is the 14th or the 19th of October! Lila tells me that mother had the same problem.

Most of my childhood memories center around Lila Mae. I spent every summer and every weekend and every possible moment I could at Lila's. I want to share some thoughts about Lila on her birthday.

This afternoon, I find myself thinking about you and reminiscing. The combined bring a flood of warm memories of my childhood and my adulthood. One of the great joys of growing up is remembering the past. I have come to realize that often times a jewel can be right under our nose and we don't appreciate it. Then, one day you suddenly realize that it was there all along. I believe that I 'discovered' you at an early age.

Because of the history you and I share as siblings, I sometimes feel I don't have to work at our relationship. It is so easy to over look because I assume you will always be there. But then reality sets in, and I realize that there may come a day when I will miss you. Time slips by so quickly, taking with it opportunities to be with each other.

I also realize that as sisters, we are the only people in the world who can reference our lives from a similar perspective. No one else has that ability. No one else lived inside those walls, knew our mother like we did, grieved the loss of our sister Annette, our brother, Buster and finally our mother and has the memories that allow us to laugh or cry at the same things in the same way.

I believe that our relationship is about as deep as you can go. When mother died, it seemed for me, that the bond between us became deeper. I was able to seek solace in you.

You know so much about me and I about you. We know the good parts, the bad parts, and the secrets. Our relationship is a very powerful and valuable one. I want you to know how much I love you! Happy Birthday, Lila.

1 comment: