Monday, November 30, 2015

Abbigail Jeannine receives her patriarchal blessing

Abby called me Saturday and invited me out to their home on Sunday afternoon to go with her and her parents to get her patriarchal blessing.  I was humbled and very happy that she wanted me to be a part of this special moment in her life.  I arrived at their home a little after 4.  We went to the patriarch's home only to find out that he had told her 4:30 but meant 5:30.  He wasn't home yet so we went back to their home and visited until a little before 5:30 and then headed back.  Nice that Gertsons only lived a few blocks from his home.  During the hour that we were waiting, Annie downed and apron and quickly made pumpkin cookies for us to eat and for Emmi to take back to the Y with her that night.

The blessing was beautiful.  I remember quite a bit of it but won't share any of it because it is Abby's blessing and is private to her.  The Patriarch shook my hand and said, "You must be a very special grandmother to be invited."  I teared up and certainly did feel very special.  Abby is not only my name sake but has a beautiful and very genuinely sweet personality and spirit.  She is far advanced spiritually than I was at her age.  I was touched by the blessing she was given from her Heavenly Father through the patriarch.  It was a tender evening for her, her mother and dad and for me.  The Patriarch asked Abby to give the opening prayer and after the blessing he asked Jeff to give a closing prayer.  First time I've ever experienced an opening and closing prayer in that kind of situation.  Both the prayers were beautiful and filled with much love and meaning.

I asked the Patriarch if I could take a picture of him and Abby.  He hesitated and then said, "Well, I guess there isn't anything in the handbook that says one shouldn't.  I just smiled and commented that I thought it was perfectly acceptable and that we weren't in the chapel, we were in a home.  He said no one had ever asked for a picture.  I just smiled and took it quick before he could change his mind.  I think he was a bit uncomfortable which I thought was kind of silly.  Picture of Abby and I and one of her and the Patriarch.  Wish I could remember his name but it has gone from my mind and it is too late to call Abby.  



No comments:

Post a Comment