Sunday, January 24, 2021

The Gift of Sight

It is wonderful to be born in the day and age of advanced medicine.  To be able to have a cataract removed from the human eye and replaced with a corrective lens is amazing.  I've known for about 5 or 6 years that I had a cataract on my eyes.  The right eye being a bit worse than the left.  I've grown so used to not being able to see clearly and having to wear glasses for anything small at all.  As for distance, every thing was double.  Looking up in the sky at a jet flying over, I could see the shadow of another jet right under the first one.  I finally gave in and went to the eye doctor and gave them the "go ahead" to have the cataract removed.  I went to St. Mark's on Tuesday morning the 19th of January.  It was such a good experience that I can't believe I put it off as long as I did.  

All went well and without incident - well that I was aware of.  I went to the doctor's office on Wednesday, the day after the surgery, to have my eye checked and make sure everything was okay.  When Dr. Alder walked into the office his first question was how I was feeling.  His second question was, "Do you remember laughing?"  I told him I didn't remember anything after I heard the anesthesiologist say he was going to give me a little happy juice to relax me.  Dr. Alder told me that I kept laughing during the procedure and he had to tell me to stop laughing because I was wiggling too much for him do the eye surgery.  I didn't bother to tell him what I figured happened to make me laugh.  I just told him that I guess I'm just a happy person.  He did say that the surgical staff all got a kick out of it!  Of course they did!  So the part I didn't share with him was that when Neal and I were in the waiting room for me to go into surgery, Neal asked me what Dr. Alder's first name was.  I told him I thought it was John.  He said, "Oh, I hoped it was Nate."  I took the bate and asked, "Why Nate?'  Neal said,  wait for it . . . . . . . "Well if his name were Nate and his name was in the phone book, it would be Alder, Nate!!  (alternate)."   OMYGOSH!  Then Neal cracks himself up laughing at his own stupid joke.  He was laughing so hard at himself that I started laughing at him laughing.  We were both giggling when the RN walked in and wheeled me to the surgery room.  So when they put me under I guess I was still giggling at Neal's stupid joke!  

On the bright side, I can see clearly anything close up without my glasses.  As I'm typing this, I don't need glasses.  Yahoo!!  I have my left eye done the end of February and I've already threatened Neal that he can't tell me any stupid jokes before surgery!!


No comments:

Post a Comment