Saturday, July 9, 2016

My new church callings

Notice I said "callings".  I'll just say here first that sometimes I think desperation is as good as inspiration and I totally question desperation vs. inspiration for one of these callings extended to me!
The first thing the Bishop asked me to do was teach relief society once a month at the MBK retirement center.  I had a feeling that I would be asked to do this and I was happy to accept.  I love teaching and especially relief society.  But the second calling (which I will add here that I also knew I was going to get - interesting how the spirit prepares one ahead of time) even though I knew it was coming, dropped my jaw a bit.  I looked right at the Bishop and flat out asked him if he really prayed about this.  He didn't smile and said, "Sister Maxfield, I pray about every calling."  I just shook my head in disbelief.  Choir Director?  Really?!  What in the world is he thinking?  I told him I would give it a go but not to expect anything.  I have to say one thing, the church continues to give people the opportunity to grow in areas one never expected.  Gospel Doctrine was a scary calling but I ended up loving it.  Stake RS President was a scary calling but I loved every minute of the 6 years I served in that calling.  Now choir director?  Can't say how I'm going to feel about it.  This might be the first calling I have that when I'm released I will breathe a long sigh of relief rather than shed tears.  All I have to say is and to quote Charlie Brown "GOOD GRIEF!"

No comments:

Post a Comment