Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Four Blue Ribbons!

Yesterday I went to a required seminar in Provo.  Ashely and I thought we were supposed to be there at 8:00 and found out after arriving there at 7:45 that we didn’t need to be there until 10:30!  We found another girl wandering around who was from Tooele and thought the same thing so we all jumped in my car and went to Mimi’s for breakfast.  The seminar went from 10:30 to 4:30 but at 3:00 Ashley and I decided we had heard all the information that we needed and what they were talking about didn’t apply to our job so we slipped out the back.  I called Emmi and had her meet us at the WalMart just off the freeway and she rode back to Salt Lake with us.  We dropped Ashley off on 90th South where she had left her car and then Emmi and I headed on to the fair grounds to meet her family.  Of course the first thing we did was go see the exhibits and see what the judges thought of our work. 

Emmi scored big time.  She entered 7 pieces and got blue ribbons on all the pieces plus three of them were chosen for the Best of Show.  She was a very happy exhibiter.  She mentioned that she would probably get about $50+ dollars for her ribbons and was going to buy some BYU sweats to celebrate!  Way to go Emmi!

IMG_1139IMG_1140IMG_1143IMG_1144IMG_1145IMG_1147IMG_1148

IMG_1142IMG_1141

Mallory also entered two pieces of pottery for the first time and she got a 2nd and a 3rd.  It was a happy celebration for both the girls.  We hadn’t gone to the fine arts building yet to see how I faired.  I have to admit that I was a little nervous.  Even though our entries are entirely different categories, I certainly didn’t want to go home from the State Fair without a ribbon!

IMG_1137IMG_1138

Lynda Ann and the kids had already seen everything because they were at the fair a couple hours before Emmi and I, but Annie didn’t give the surprise away for either of us. All four of my pieces got blue ribbons and the alphabet Christmas and Home of a Needleworker were considered for Best in Show but didn’t win.  Not sad about that.  Glad that I can still stitch up a storm and that the judges recognize good work!

IMG_1153IMG_1155IMG_1150

You notice they displayed Derek’s picture totally wrong.  The specifically asked me when I brought it which way it should hang and I told them, but . . . . . there it is.  I don’t suppose anyone but the family would notice but it sure looks funny to me.

The food was so expensive in the fair grounds that we all walked across the street to a McDonalds and had dinner.  The cow stamp was our ticket back into the fair.  We wandered some more while the kids ran from ride to ride.  About 9:00 Emmi and I headed home.  I didn’t want to put her on the train at night so I drove her back to Provo and then home.  It was a very exciting evening.  It is always a good feeling to have your work acknowledged.  Way to go, Emmi, Mallory and me!!!!

IMG_1159IMG_1161IMG_1162IMG_1164

No comments:

Post a Comment