Monday, June 16, 2014

Sunday–the actual Father’s Day

Neal and I had a quiet morning.  Having breakfast and reading the paper and watching the Tabernacle Choir Broadcast for Father’s Day.  It was amazing as always.  While we were having breakfast I told Neal that I had been approached by the Bishopric to have one of “Neal’s kids” as he put it – speak in church, giving a tribute to their dad on Father’s Day as a surprise for Neal.  I approached Maren but she was leaving for Havasupai Sunday morning and was not able to do it. I asked Lyndsy but found out that she had dyed her hair completely blue and knew that it would make her dad uncomfortable along with most of the congregation and the Bishopric.  Our ward is an old ward and blue hair would be a bit shocking for our congregation.  I felt so badly that neither of the girls could participate.  Jamie and Tucker considered having Tucker fly up as a surprise for his dad but in checking with the ticket prices, it was out of the question!  I told Tucker absolutely not.  I think the ticket prices were around $585.00.  I know he would have paid the price and I so appreciated his willingness to make that kind of sacrifice for his dad.  Neal seemed OK with the outcome as we sat in church and heard others honor their father’s.  I told Neal I was sure there would be another year!

I taught RS that day and then Neal and I changed and headed out to Annie’s for a Father’s Day dinner.  I’m glad that Lynda Ann and her family look at Neal as a ‘father’ and that her kids totally love and claim him as their grandfather.  Annie had a delicious dinner prepared and the kids all gave Neal gifts.  The children gave him his favorite candy bars, an attachment for the hose to water his patio flowers and a tool that clean the barbeque.  He also got a red, white and blue pin wheel to put in one of his planters. 

Annie and Abby made and decorated some darling Father’s Day cookies.  Father’s Day sugar cookie ties!  How clever!

IMG_0854IMG_0855

The pin wheel in one of the planters out front.  Neal loves it!

 

 

IMG_6107

Thanks Gertsons for a very nice Father’s Day evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment