Saturday, June 21, 2014

It’s been 5 years since . . .

I got a letter in the mail informing me that it’s been 5 years and time for another colonoscopy.  Something no one looks forward to, but something I do faithfully every 5 years.  I watched my Uncle Henry die of colon cancer and would never want to take a chance of dealing with something like that.  So, I made my appointment for last Friday morning at 10:15.  I got the instructions in the mail, bought all the stuff to clean me out and very carefully followed the three day regiment perfectly.  The one thing I didn’t pay too much attention to was getting enough liquids while preparing for the procedure.  All went well until Friday morning at about 2 a.m.  I woke up with the urge to go to the bathroom, swung my legs over the bed and all of a sudden the calves of my legs cramped horrifically at the very same time.  The pain was almost unbearable.  I tried to stand up to get to the bathroom and fainted!  Neal heard me hit the floor and by the time he got around the bed to me I had tried to stand up again and fell the second time.  Just plain past out.  I remember feeling my face on the floor and trying to think why I would be laying on the floor!  Neal helped me up and carefully sat me down on the toilet.  He turned around to leave and I past out again falling on the floor.  I remember him calling my name and trying to get me to respond but I just didn’t have the energy to pull my head up.  He finally gave me a blessing and I immediately responded.  He helped me back to bed and had me drink some apple juice.  The next morning I was very weak but at least had my wits about me.  We went to the hospital at the appointed time and the nurse noticed that my cheek was swollen and bruised.  She and the doctor asked me what happened and I told them.  They said that I was extremely dehydrated and immediately started an IV to get fluids in me.  Apparently my body went into shock from being so dehydrated.  That is apparently what caused the cramping in my legs. 

The ending is good.  Everything looked clean and good.  No problems and I’m feeling on top of the world again!  I do have three bruises.  My cheek, my eye and my shoulder are all sore and bruised and a bit swollen.  I guess I’ve learned my lesson about dehydration and how important it is for us to make sure our bodies get enough fluids.  I am so grateful for the Priesthood and that Neal is worthy to use it when needed.  I believe it was because of his blessing that I didn’t end up in the emergency room that night! 

IMG_6110

No comments:

Post a Comment