Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother’s Day

I could write volumes, maybe even a book on my feelings about Mother’s Day.  Not just about Mother’s Day itself but my journey of being a mother.  Last week, while doing my exercise of walking through the neighborhoods, I found an empty bird’s nest on the ground.  I guessed the nest must have fallen from the huge maple tree I was walking under.  The nest wasn’t much larger than a cereal bowl.  It was put together from hundreds of delicate twigs, strands of grass and dried moss.  It was truly a work of art. 

As I continued my walk I couldn’t help but think of the phrase “the empty nest”.  I’ve heard that phrase so many times and it usually is spoken with a final or forlorn connotation to it.  I had to smile and think that our nests are never completely empty.  Things do change as children leave home.  The calendar in the kitchen has empty spaces and has no reminder marks on it.  There are no sticky notes tacked to the frig reminding me of games, dance, music lesson, doctors appointments, etc.  I have been left with a cleaner quieter house.  I think of all the shoes and flip-flops piled near the front door.  I do miss the hustle and bustle of children coming and going, snacking at the kitchen counter, watching me make bread and Sunday afternoons gathered around the table playing games.

So, life isn’t the same, but I’m okay with that.  I’ve come to realize that mom is always a mom.  My parenting roles have evolved and changed over time.  I remember mother saying to me that “My home will always be your home.”  I knew I would always have a place to land if I needed to.  I’m grateful that mother encouraged me to spread my wings and create a home and family of my own.

So, is my nest half full  or half empty?  Thinking back on that small bird’s nest I found laying on the sidewalk,  I’m at peace with the idea that our home will always be a place for children and grandchildren to gather and to come back to.  And hopefully, patience and love will be the threads that weave our combined family together, no matter how far away our children may live.

Lyndsy hosted a Mother’s Day gathering at her home on Friday evening.  She had everyone bring part of the dinner and it was delicious.  We had sweetened pulled pork with all the trimmings topped with Annie’s delicious home made strawberry pies.  Maren, Brock and Mr. Boston, Lynda Ann, Jeff, Emmi, Hayley and Andrew were there along with Lyndsy, James, River and Desmond.  It was a fun gathering and thankfully the weather held out so that the children could run in and out.  Thank you Lyndsy for hosting such a fun evening.

IMG_0672IMG_0674IMG_0675IMG_0677

Lyndsy gave me some lotions and oils, which I love!

IMG_0683

When Neal and I got home, there was a huge box on the front porch and inside was a present from Jamie and family.  I had mentioned to her that I wanted her to create a Spring center piece for my kitchen table.  I thought she would do it while she was here in the summer!  Never dreamed she would put something like that together and mail it! It is beautiful and I love it.  Knowing Jamie, I’m sure there will be some tweaking done when she arrives in the summer, but to my eyes it is gorgeous just as it is.  Thank you Jamie and family.

IMG_0679IMG_0680

Saturday when I got home from running errands there on the kitchen counter was a beautiful bouquet of flowers from Jeff and Mindy.  I felt sad that I had missed them.  The flowers are beautiful and I love them.  Thank you!

IMG_0684

No comments:

Post a Comment