Monday, May 26, 2014

A Rough Memorial Day Weekend

Last Thursday (a week after Neal’s surgery) he noticed that he was gaining weight.  He started out at 195 lbs. and each evening as he weighed himself he noticed that he was going up in weight and not able to go to the bathroom significantly.  The evening of May 21st he weighed 217.2 lbs.  He had gained 22 lbs since his surgery.  The next evening, the 22nd he weighed in at 220.4 and May 23rd 224.6.  I took Neal to the ER and they said that he was in kidney failure and would need to go to the intensive care unit.  But before they sent him up they drew some blood, did an EKG and an Eco Cardio Gram, X-rays on his bladder and kidneys, and determining that his bladder was full beyond capacity they put in a catheter.  Just while we were in the ER waiting to be transferred to his room, they measure 1 gallon of liquid that had drained from the bladder in a 45 minute time period.  When the blood test came back they said his Creatin was at 16!  The normal is 1.  He was in acute kidney failure.  For the next two days he was monitored and had blood drawn every four hours.  We are happy to report that his Creatin is now down at 1.5, his sodium level and electrolytes are at a normal range and his weight down to 197.  I brought him home this afternoon and he is sleeping comfortably.  He still has a catheter and will have that for a couple weeks to make sure the bladder shrinks back to it’s normal size. 

Some pictures of him and the view from his hospital room.  The first picture he wanted me to take to show how full of water he was.  The second picture is of him in the ER being told had seriously ill he was.

IMG_0694IMG_0699

Of course I texted all the kids to let them know what was going on and how serious things were.  Tucker text me right back and said that he wished he were here and I told him that I did to because I could use some of his humor to get me through this.  He immediately sent me a couple jokes which I will chose not to blog and this picture that made me laugh the hardest because it looked just like Neal's feet!  No exaggeration.  Tucker said, “Keep me updated on cabbage patch grandpa!” 

IMG_0700IMG_0705

Below, the view from dad’s hospital room.  Amazing to look down at the helicopter pad.  I tried to get a picture of it taking off and landing but was never successful. 

IMG_0707IMG_0708

I’m happy to report that he is doing better and better each day.  We have to go tomorrow for a blood draw and then to see his Urologist to see when he can take out the catheter.  That will have to be monitored to make sure that he is able to empty the bladder. 

Dad was given to incredible blessings.  I am so grateful for the power of the priesthood and for the men who hold and honor that priesthood and are worthy to act upon it.  I am so grateful to my mother who accepted the gospel, joined the church and taught me the truths she did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment