Saturday, October 6, 2012

Still doing some canning.

Canning brings back warm memories and cozy feelings of my childhood.  I loved walking into the house on Saturday afternoon and smelling the air of vegetables and fruit being processed.  Mother and Lila Mae standing at the sink talking and laughing as they prepared the food for winter storage.  I loved laying awake at night listening to the lids on the bottles popping as they sealed one after another.

Today I inherited a boat load of tomatoes and I just couldn’t stand to see them go to waste.  I love fresh tomatoes but even I can’t possible eat this many before they go rotten.  So, I decided to make salsa.  Something I haven’t done for years.  I kind of made up a recipe and it actually ended up tasting pretty dang good.  Neal did the final taste test and said he thought it needed one more green pepper and a little more pickling salt.  I added it and he said it was perfect.  I ended up with 18 pints. 

IMG_4254IMG_4255IMG_4256

No comments:

Post a Comment