Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Time for freezer jam once again.

IMG_2222IMG_2223IIMG_2228IMG_2224

I think I love this time of year most of all.  It always brings me close to memories of my mother who so diligently bottled and canned everything she could afford to buy or was given to her.  The bent up and well used metal funnel is one of the items that I wanted of mothers. This funnel was used for everything:  peaches, pears, apricots, tomatoes, grape juice and jam.  We never had a freezer so mother didn’t do frozen jams she always did the cooked kind and then sealed the top with hot wax, which I remember digging out.  Mother never allowed me to help with most of the canning and especially the hot wax.  She was always afraid I would get scalded by the hot water or burned with the wax.  So I would have to admit that I was more the observer of the process, not the helper.  I loved watching her and more loved the talks that always took place as I sat at the bar helping my self to the freshly sliced and peeled fruit before it went into the canners.

IMG_2221IMG_2227I

I also tended River that evening.  He played with the Legos and kept putting Bella’s toy on the edge of the table so Bella would have to stand on her two back feet to get her toy.

No comments:

Post a Comment