Saturday, April 9, 2011

Old Movies

I absolutely love old movies.  I think the biggest reason is that they bring back some wonderful memories of time spent with my mother.  You have to remember that during my childhood we were just beginning to get colored television and fancy stereo equipment.  We didn’t have the luxury of having a variety of movies at home that we could choose from nor did we have video stores where you could rent a movie.  Television had four channels.  2, 4, 5, and 7.  Sometimes on Friday nights or Sundays there would be a special where they would show a movie that had been out in the theaters.  It was exciting to be able to see a movie again that you had so enjoyed in the theaters years before.  I remember when the movie “Mister Roberts” aired on TV.  My mother and I watched it together.  I loved those times when I would sit by her on the couch with a bowl of popcorn watching an old black and white.  These men in this movie were the Mel Gibson, Harrison Ford, Brad Pitt, etc. of her time.

I have such wonderful, warm memories of my childhood and hope that I have created the same kind of ‘warm’ memories for all my children.  It is the memories that keep our loved ones who have gone beyond the veil alive and clear in our minds and make the ‘missing them’ a little less painful. 

April 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment