Saturday, August 28, 2010

Ye old tobacco staff!

From left to right: Emily, Chelsea, Brittney, Tiffany, Andrea, Brianna, and me.
Every now and again the group gets together for lunch, to reminise old times, catch up on our lives and renew our friendships. This was one of those rare groups that worked together in an office, shared common values and genuinely loved each other. As we picniced I couldn't help but notice the contrast in age between me and all of them. Probably on the average of 30+ years that I am older. Age is an interesting thing. I used to hear my mother say, "My get up and go has got up and went" or "My mind is still young but my body is old and the two are not agreeing." I'm slowly beginning to understand exactly what she meant. Sitting with all those young girls didn't make me feel older, it made me feel as if I were the same age in body but with the added years of experience and wisdom. I don't feel like I've slowed down at all, but have I? Is aging something so gradual that you don't notice it until all of a sudden you are aware that you can't walk as fast as you used to or you can't take the stairs two at a time, or it is harder to get up and down off the floor? I remember Lynda Ann telling me, a few years back, that Abby (my granddaughter) asked, "I wonder what Gam looked like without any wrinkles?" We laughed about it but I remember going to the mirror and realizing that I do have wrinkles. When did they show up? Sigh . . . But, I am very healthy and I'm so grateful for that. I have a zest and a love for life and even though I may be older in age and even (have to admit) look older, I am still young at heart and feel I have all the energy to keep up with a full time job, my church calling and all my many interests and projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment