Wednesday, August 18, 2010

This is how I shall always remember my mother.
There is a scripture in Alma Chap. 40 verse12: "And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow." I always think of this scripture when I get really lonely for mother and it brings peace to me and takes away the 'missing you' just a little bit. I love you mother.
This is a picture of my mother and I that appeared in the Provo newspaper. She was teaching me how to make an apple pie. I was a freshman at Brigham Young University.






I'm 66 years young and serving as the Stake Relief Society President. I'm learning much about caring, reaching out to others (out of my usual comfort zone) and service. This morning I visited one of our rest homes (or care centers as they now call them), for their monthly relief society meeting. Every time I go I have such mixed feelings. I'm happy to be there, to greet them, to give them a hug, to hold their hand etc. but I don't want to end up there when I get old. I remember my sweet mother living with Neal and I for two years and then finding it necessary to have her admitted to a care center. How hard it is to watch someone that you love so much, physically and mentally and rather slowly deteriorate before your eyes. It is a helpless feeling. I clearly remember helping mother with her bath one day and she looked up at me and said, "I took care of you when you were little and needed me and now you are taking care of me when I'm old and needing you." I miss her greatly. I miss jumping in the car and running to Provo to sit at her kitchen table and just talk. I miss playing cribbage with her. (I never beat her. Not even one time.) I miss looking into her beautiful blue eyes and feeling her love for me. I certainly miss her always sage advice.

3 comments:

  1. Jeannine, just wanted you to know how beautiful this tribute is to Grandma Ross, and my feelings are the same. I know how much mom loved Freda and speaks of her often. I had to smile about the comment of you taking care of your mother in her older years. Mom has said the same thing to me, I now have the wonderful experience to take care of her.
    She wanted me to thank you for the birthday card, and you also will be getting yours late. My health this past two years has not been good. I had cancer last year and knee problems this year which have been very painful, so my mind doesn't always work and remember like it use to. Mom is doing well, she has short term memory loss, so I have to think for both of us, and sometimes that is a challenge.
    We are planning to be in Midway at Swiss Days so if you are in Midway stop by and visit, We would love to see you.
    Love ya,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the pictures you added! Oh my gosh, those are so awesome!

    ReplyDelete