Wednesday, June 20, 2018

A letter from Mallory

Mallory sends amazing letters home each week.  But as I read this one, I was amazed at this beautiful woman who is giving 18 months of her life to her Heavenly Father.  I know that she is keeping all of her letters home but I just had to post this one.  What an amazing woman she is and what an amazing missionary!  She titled her letter, "The Best Kept Secret".

"Helaman 10: 4-5
4  Blessed art thou, Nephi, for those things which thou hast done; for I have beheld how thou hast with unwearyingness declared the word, which I have given unto thee, unto this people.  And thou hast not feared them, and has not sought thine own life, but hast sought my will, and to keep my commandments.
5  And now, because thou hast done this with such unwearyingness, behold, I will bless thee forever;  and I will make thee mighty in word and in deed, in faith and in works; yea, even that all things shall be done unto thee according to thy word for thou shalt not ask that which is contrary to my will.

Missionary work truly is the best kept secret.  As the transfer was ending this week and 4 of our district members are going home, I've been thinking a lot.  Monday was our final district meeting and the last time I'll see those going home.  I feel like I need a different word than 'bittersweet', but I haven't found one.  13 short weeks ago I never could have guessed how much my district of Elders would impact me.  Sure they're goofy and obnoxious sometimes, but I've learned so much from them.  I've learned to laugh more when I make a mistake, and to let the little things go.  To work so hard all day but have fun while doing it.  They may not remember me, but I'll never forget this district.  It wasn't a coincidence that we all stayed together for two transfers, the Lord knew I needed them.  So, instead of being sad that they're leaving I'm going to be happy that I had the pleasure of working with them to build the kingdom of God.

As for me, I'll be staying in Franklin!  What a tender mercy!  Franklin definitely has my heart and I can't believe I get to stay!  I strive everyday to find those in this area who are ready for the gospel, and after 13 weeks I haven't found them yet.  And its been hard.  This is where the 'best kept secret' comes into play.  A lot of the time when we talk about missionary work it's only the positives.  Things are great, you have tons of people to teach, and they're lining up outside the font!  Right?  Unfortunately, that's not so is most cases.  We work all day, talk to everyone, knock on door after door, and it's 98 degrees outside (also here in the South even the shade is hot, it's in the air and you can't really escape it).  Some people show interest but in reality they're just polite Southern people.  Sometimes it's hard.  But we don't dwell on that.  We don't talk about all the tears of lost investigators and fervent prayers to find anyone that will listen.  Those are just the 'behind the scenes'.  And I wouldn't trade any second of it.  It's not always like that.  We do have fun and meet some really amazing people.  Sometimes I can't believe I'm actually a missionary!  It will hit me when we are walking down a road with no sidewalks or shoulder in the lovely Tennessee humidity, helping out at a little Baptist church, and walking up to anyone to talk about Jesus Christ.  I can't think of a greater joy than sharing the gospel with everyone!  I've been blessed so much as a missionary, having my testimony strengthened beyond what I ever thought, and loving complete strangers the way the Savior does.  I literally think my heart will burst, I can't fit any more love in there!

No matter how hard it gets, how much my heart aches for these people, I'll always love every second.  I know that no effort is wasted, and if I don't baptize a bunch of people at least I've planted seeds.  Some day, whether in this life or the next, someone will harvest those seeds and bring others unto Christ.  that's what this is all about, bringing souls to Christ.  And I'm so privileged to help!  How great is my calling?!

I hope at the end of the day I can be like Nephi in Helaman 10.  Unwearyingness is such a great word.  the footnotes say that it's dedication, dependability, and steadfastness.  that's the kind of missionary I want to be!  Working with unwearyingness all day, everyday!  God is good and is at the head of this great work!

Love y'all!

Sister Gertson

No comments:

Post a Comment