Sunday, July 15, 2018

A Saturday of Projects

I gave my sewing machine to Annie a long time ago, thinking that I wouldn't ever be using it again - those days of pajama making were behind me now that my grandchildren were too old for grandma's pajamas.  Well, I have one more project I'm working on for the grandchildren for this Christmas.  I saved all the scraps from all the pajamas I've made the grandchildren over the years and I'm making using all those scraps to make a "pajama quilt" for the grandchildren who were recipients of pajamas that I made.  It has become quite a project.  The hours and hours of cutting all the squares, sewing them in to 12 inch blocks and now sewing the sashing in between is countless hours of work.  I spent 9 hours yesterday, at Annie's, just sewing and was able to get 7 of the 15 done.  I still have 8 more to go.  It takes me about an hour to sew the sashing in each quilt.
While I was busy sewing, Annie had her own project that she and Abby were working on.  Abby is going to Oregon for a couple days and will be selling these bags to raise money for the guide dog program.  Lynda and Abby designed the pattern on their Cricket and then Annie has a press that permanently sticks the pattern on the material.  The bags are absolutely darling!  
We did take a break about 3:30 and all of us drove to their favorite hamburger place and had hamburgers and fries.  It was a very fun and very productive day.  I brought the sewing machine home with me and hopefully this week I can get the rest of the quilts ready to be put on the quilting frames.  My hope is that the grandchildren will catch the love that went into the quilts and will look at the different materials and remember what ones they had pajamas made by their Gam.

No comments:

Post a Comment