Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mother’s Day

This Mother’s Day was an interesting one and a most unusual one.  It had good moments, sad moments and bewildered moments.  A particular incident leading up to this day left me with a heavy heart that has lingered through this day.  I thought a lot about mother today and I hope that I never hurt my mother deeply.  I hope that I always respected her, talked kindly to her and never left her wondering if I loved her.  A life time is more than a span of time.  It’s memories made, laughter shared, tears dried and moments warmed by love.

I have found that being a step parent is one of the most challenging and hardest tasks I’ve ever undertaken.  I know that some of the Maxfield children are and were accepting right off the get go, and others were very opinionated and judgmental.  The sad thing is that opinionated one feels she can do or say whatever she can get by with.  She can express her feelings or emotions and I’m to accept them.  She can freely express hurt, anger or sadness, but I’m not allowed to have feelings.  I remember years ago when I was in counseling that I was told I had permission to “leave the room” when being verbally abused.  Something I had never considered.  He also told me that I needed to “set my boundaries”.  I’m learning I must do the same thing with certain children.  In the past 25 years I’ve learned that I can be the most kind, compassionate person on earth and it won’t matter in her eyes.  I just can’t take it personally.  It is her problem and not mine.  I don’t have to be what she demands or expects.  I have a right to be respected and have boundaries. 

Mother’s Day this year was certainly out of the ordinary.  Jeff and Mindy were in Oregon visiting with Justin and C. J. and Lynda Ann was very sick.  So the only children who came was Lyndsy and her two boys and The Cutlers minus Jaden.  He was at a Bees game. 

I did get a box of chocolate covered strawberries from Tucker and Jamie and they were delicious.  I ate two yesterday and have already had one today.  Lyndsy also gave me some face cream and body cream that I absolutely LOVE!  Thanks to all for the gifts and the remembrances.

IMG_1993IMG_1994IMG_1997IMG_1995IMG_1999IMG_1998

Because Annie is sick, we are going to celebrate Mother’s Day next week when she is feeling well again.

Maddie sent me this picture from Oregon with a Happy Mother’s Day greeting along with a greeting from Mindy.

IMG_2001

No comments:

Post a Comment