Sunday, March 18, 2012

A summary of a great trip!

First of all let me say a big THANK YOU to Maren and Greg.  Thanks for the buddy passes, thanks for all the work of putting this incredible once in a life time trip put together.  Maren spent hours getting the buddy passes put together, arranging for the best flights, arranging for hotels and putting together an agenda.  Maren had the costs for the hotels, transportation and buddy passes all figured out and listed for us to see.  The only thing she couldn’t do was estimate the cost of food.

I’m going to list the costs she came up with, just so years from now we can look back how organized this trip was and the estimated costs:

Hotels, Thursday March 8th – Hong Kong SkyCity Marriott Hotel

Cutler’s $193.54

Mom & Dad $154.84

Tucker $77.42

Lyndsy $77.42

Derek $77.42

Wednesday and Thursday March 14 & 15 @ Holiday Inn Express

Cutler $334.92

Mom & Dad $267.94

Tucker $134.97

Lyndsy $133.97

Derek $133.97

Total for Hotels

Cutler $528.46

Mom & Dad $422.78

Tucker $211.49

Lyndsy $211.49

Derek $211.49

Flight Expenses:

Mom $697.68

Dad $693.88

Lyndsy $693.88

Tucker $690.38

We flew first class all the way over, which was wonderful.  Thanks to Derek and staying at his apartment, our hotel costs were minimal.  We so appreciate Derek’s generosity and his time in planning our days and making sure we were safe and transported at minimal cost as well.  It was exciting to be able to see Derek in his China environment and see him perform.  He is a natural and one excellent diver!  We were pleased to be able to meet and spend some time with his friend Ting Ting.  The whole family fell in love with her.  She was gracious and very protective of us.  When we left she gave me a darling tea pot that I love and have sitting on my desk so that I see it every day and am reminded of her kindness and love extended to Derek’s family.

IMG_3552

There were many highlights to the trip, all to be remembered with fondness.  One thing that was quite interesting, that I failed to mention, was when we were shopping I noticed a counted cross stitch that was hanging in one of the booths.  I made a fuss about it and Derek explained to the security lady that I did counted cross stitch.  She said she knew right where I could get some.  She put me on her moped and took me a few blocks away to a little hole in the wall shop where Derek and I searched for one that he would like me to do for him.  I ended up buying two.  Both are going to be a challenge.

IMG_3554IMG_3553

I loved seeing Derek and knowing that he is happy where he is and has so very many friends around him.  It puts my mind and heart at ease now that I’ve experienced where he lives and what he is doing.  I will always worry about him because he is so very far away, but I know that my prayers for his safety and well being have been answered and will continue to be answered. 

Thank you Maren and Greg, once again for a wonderful trip.  Thanks to the spouses, Jamie and James and the children, Jordyn Lyn, Lexi, Peyton and River who also sacrificed their time with their parent and encouraged them to participate in this adventure.  A special thanks to James for carting us to and from the airport!

P.S.  Neal and I did make one expensive purchase, but I’m not going to show it until I get it all set up.  Maybe some time this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment