Friday, May 27, 2011

Wonderful thought.

This was sent to me by a friend.

“I did not know I had so many tears. I have tried to hide most of them. Not that I am ashamed of tears, but seeing them in my eyes brings them too often to the cheeks of others, and I would not spread sorrow too widely. Yet there is a cleansing of the soul through the eyes. Tears release sadness that must not dominate, leaving only love, somewhat older, wiser, calmer, and yet renewed, reborn, freshened, enlarged, flowering. The soul was not made by God to be sorrow’s home. He would have us happy. We open the doors and windows and let it out. We learn from the memory of its visits; then let the breezes of continued living clear the air. We learn to breathe again, to walk in the sunlight. Love, joy, peace, each other are the true inhabitants and we would not crowd them unnecessarily.”
S. Michael Wilcox

She happened to be by me when I got a call from my niece telling me that her dad, my brother Donald, is very ill and doesn't have too much longer to live. He is dealing with heart problems and cancer. He will be 82 this August. He is 15 years older than I am. Even though Donald and I are not close, and never have been, it is always a sad time and causes one to reminisce. My memories with Donald are very few. He was in the service when I was old enough to remember and spent the rest of his career in the service and then retired in San Diego. His visits to Utah were rare. I can only recall one visit. I was a senior in high school. The rage was t-strapped shoes. We couldn't afford them, but when Donald found out that I wanted some, he bought them for me. They were red, shinny and new. I LOVED those shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment