Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A talk I gave at our Stake Relief Society Leadership Meeting.

The other day I was browsing through an art store picking up some paints for Neal and came to the isle where they had paint brushes displayed. I took one of the paint brushes off the shelf and a clerk came by while I was looking at it. The clerk assured me it was made of genuine bristles. I started to put the brush down and then picked it back up again to take another look at it.
I noticed that it was a 1 inch brush; it had a wooden handle and a metal strip around it. I wondered where the “genuine” bristles came from. I noticed there were several numbers on the handle which must mean something to somebody. I wondered what kind of tree furnished the handle.
Lots of elements went into the making of this brush – many hands were instrumental in it assembly.
Then I wondered what would happen to the paint brush. Will it be used in painting an artistic landscape? Or used by a child just learning to splash paint on paper with water colors?
No matter. If it brings pleasure and beauty into the life of someone, then it will have fulfilled its potential.
Now, the paint brush, no matter how carefully made, can accomplish nothing by itself. Some hand must lift it, dip it in the paint and apply it to the canvas. This is where you and I enter. Ours are the hands that must pick up the brush and use it however we wish. If we don’t pick it up, if we don’t use it, then who is going to suffer? Not the brainless paint brush, but we who did not take advantage of its usefulness.
In some ways, we are like the paint brush – we have a name, we have numbers and we were created.
Now, I’ve used this paint brush as a prop and maybe some of you aren’t interested in using a paint brush at all. But, the same principal applies to dozens of other objects that are contained in our homes. The broom sitting in the closet will not keep the kitchen floor clean unless you pick it up and use it. The soap will not get your clothes clean unless you introduce it to the washer, the pen lying on your desk will not write the letter to a friend who needs to hear from you, unless you pick it up, the loaf of bread or the cookies you did not take to your neighbor will not let her know that you care about her.
Every one of us has potential. Every one of us was given talents, but unless we do something with those talents they will die – as dormant as the poor paint brush - and we will have wasted the gifts given us by our Heavenly Father. We will never know what we are capable of doing until we actually do it.
I went back in my writings and found a quote that I had recorded from Bruce R. McConkie in the 80’s. He was talking about being born where we are per our works in heaven before we came here. He said, “We have a special set of works for us to do that will refine us and make us grow if we will not shrink from the task. The amazing thing in all this is realizing who we really are and that we absolutely do not walk alone. Once you let that fill your consciousness, you can climb any mountain! “ Unquote
I have come to believe that I am a useful person. That my Father in Heaven has blessed me with many talents that I’m still discovering and that it is up to me to develop those talents and reach the potential I was created for, whether it is being a good wife, mother, grandmother, teacher or leader – it is up to me to create the best picture I am capable of.
I know that I’m cannot achieve the potential I have on my own. I know that it is a total and complete group effort. I believe that the “errand of angels is given to women”. As promised, - - on days where I have done my part to connect to holiness, - - I can feel an undeniable force of those on the other side of the veil reaching out to help me. They are the women who lived before me, those who share my mission. I know that the Lord is there too, on my right hand and on my left. He is there in the quiet times when I am kneeling by my bed desperately seeking his guidance and help.
I pray that we may each fully understand the greatness of our gifts and talents. That we will each believe we have an incomparable power and influence to do good. That we can, through our God given gifts and talents, bless the lives of the sisters in our wards, our stake and our neighborhood. We must use those gifts to bless and serve others.
“For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”

No comments:

Post a Comment