Sunday, April 11, 2021

Memory Lane

Saturday I drove to Midway to deliver some items that I had purchased for Susan at Costco and to spend some time with her and Lila Mae.  It was a beautiful Spring day and I needed some thinking time) by myself so the drive was good.  We visited for a little bit and then Lila Mae and I drove to the bowling alley and bought cheeseburgers and fries (and of course a diet coke) for lunch.  After lunch we started talking about conference, church and going back to our years growing up and how much has changed over the years.  It was fun to hear what Lila Mae remembered about living in Seattle and being a member.  She said that for us to attend a meeting we had to get on a city bus, make a few transfers and that it was a long bus ride to get to the meeting house.  Certainly different now when you think there is a chapel on almost every corner!  She and I don't remember attending the Mormon church very often.  She did remember that a Brother John A. Widtsoe was visiting Seattle and was going to speak and that we all got on the bus and traveled the long distance to hear him.  But, it wasn't until we moved to Provo that mother began attending meetings every week and taking Annette and I with her.  

We talked about Primary and Mutual (Young Women as it is called now) and how the names have changed over the years.  I grew up in Primary as a Blue Bird, a Lark and then a Seagull.  I still have the bandelo (sp) from primary and one from my Beehive years in mutual.  

The funnest thing that came up was we remembered an old primary song called Five Nickels.  The sad thing is I can't remember all of the song.  But I remember taking pennies and nickels and as we sang the song we would put the money in a can or box.  I'm not sure if the money was for a temple or if it was for Primary Children's Hospital.  But this is how the song went - anyway, what I can remember:

"Five Pennies make a nickel
Two nickels make a dime
Ten dimes make a dollar
. . . . . . .  make it shine."

Lila and Susan and I tried to remember the rest of the song but just couldn't come up with that last little sentence.  Anyway you can see the need to write things down and record them somewhere.  I'm sure that little song was just made up for the time we were raising money for something.  

Lila also took me around her house and showed me all the counted cross stitch stuff I have done for her over the years.  Some I had forgotten about.  And these aren't all.  The Christmas ones she has put away.


This was Lila Mae, Annette and I.  I love this one.
It was a wonderful day!


No comments:

Post a Comment