Sunday, March 22, 2020

Earthquake 5.7

Amazingly, Salt Lake experienced an earthquake at 7:09 on Wednesday, March 18, 2020.  It was a 5.7.  I was on my way to work.  Had stopped at Walgreens to pick up some candy for my candy dish on my desk at work.  I was standing at the check out area and all of a sudden heard a loud noise and the whole building began to shake.  It literally took me almost until the earthquake was over to realize that I was experiencing an actual earthquake.  I paid for the candy (after the quake) walked out of the store and realized I was a little bit sick to my stomach.  I got in the car and looked up at the Heaven's and said, "We are in the middle of this stupid COVID-19 virus and now we have an earthquake!"  And then I started to cry.  It was all so overwhelming and scary.  So surreal.  Of course the county buildings all closed down for the day and sent us all home.  About 1:09 that afternoon I was down in the kitchen preparing lunch for Neal and I went we had a 4.7 after shock.  We have had over 100 after shocks since then.  Just today Mallory and I were in the kitchen talking and there was another 4.1 aftershock.

Interesting side note is that Angel Moroni lost his trumpet.  Crazy, huh!

The yellow on the map is the EPA Center in Magna and the red dots are the after shocks.  Remember this picture is from the actual day it happened.  The map would now show hundreds of  red dots for the after shocks.

Thank goodness all the family are safe.  So thankful for that.  Maren mentioned that Greg was in the tower at the airport.  I will be anxious to hear his story of his experience.  The airport was actually shut down for about half the day and planes all diverted to other airports.

No comments:

Post a Comment