Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Juanita Ross Zenger

The oldest sibling in our family passed away on October 21, 2019.  She was 94.  She was my father's daughter and step-daughter to my mother.  She was 19 years older than I was and I had no idea who she was until I was about 9 years old.  I remember walking home from church with my mother and asking her, "Now how is Nita related to me?"  Mother was shocked.  She didn't know that I had no idea that Nita was my sister.  We were never allowed to use the word step-mother or step-sister.  She was a sister and mother was her mother.  She came to our family when she was about 8 years old.  About the time that my father and mother married.  Nita had been raised by both sets of grandparents.  Her mother died 10 days after Nita was born.

Nita and I shared the same birthday of August 3rd.

Her daughters, Barbara Kay, Shirlee Rae and Charlene had a viewing in Midway and after the viewing we went to the cemetery for the dedication of the grave.  It was a sad time.  Lila Mae and I realized that we are the last two remaining of this generation.  Lila is 88 and I am 75.

One of life's unavoidable experiences is to lose someone we love.  We will all lose a cherished family or friend through death.  When it comes for a loved one, our whole world can change in an instant.  Because we know heartache and pain, we also know love and joy.  Such love never dies, it goes on and on until we meet again.

Nita was a good sister and I did love her and she will be missed.


No comments:

Post a Comment