Sunday, September 23, 2018

Tears

Olive Beth Kimball Mack (Bobby) passed away and her funeral was on Friday.  She was 96 and had lived a full life.  I went to her viewing on Thursday evening and visited with her some of her children.  It was fun to see so many that I had not seen for years.  I also attended the funeral on Friday afternoon and enjoyed hearing what her 5 boys had to say about her.  As I sat there listening, I also thought about my own mother who died at the age of 96.  Then my thoughts went to Annette and on to my son, Jeffrey.  Funerals are not always easy, but I think necessary.  It gives us time to ponder and let the emotions we are feeling be expressed in a gentle quiet way.  It is a closure but also a reminder that they have just passed through the veil and are still living.  I let the tears roll down my cheeks and I remembered a quote that mother had written in one of her journals.  I came home to find it and this is the quote:

"There is a sacredness in tears.  They are not the mark of weakness, but of power.  They are messengers of overwhelming grief and unspeakable love."    Washington Irving

I've said 'goodbye' to many in my life time and will say 'goodbye' to many more before my journey ends.  I love the gospel of Jesus Christ and am so grateful for my testimony and knowledge that we all be reunited as a family and loved ones again.  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment