Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Visiting Teaching Idea and recipe

For the past three or four years I've been assigned inactive sisters to visit teach. Not one of them will let me in their home nor are they interested in my giving them a gospel message. My visits are strictly porch visits. So, I decided that I would give them a cooked item each month along with the recipe and the visiting teaching message on the back of the recipe. That way, if they choose to read it or not, I will at least feel like I've given them the message.

October is a great month for Halloween recipes. This is an especially good one, very colorful and fun to make and one that I will give to my sisters for the month of October.

Pumpkin Snack Mix
3 quarts popped popcorn
4 cups Cheerios
4 cups Corn or Rice Chex
2 cups salted peanuts
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup butter, cubed
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 package (16 ounces) candy pumpkins

In a large greased roasting pan, combine the popcorn, cereal and peanuts.
In a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar, corn syrup and butter. Bring to a rolling boil. Boil for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat and quickly stir in vanilla and baking soda until mixture is light and foamy.
Immediately pour over popcorn mixture and toss to coat.
Bake, uncovered, at 250 degrees for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
Cool completely.
Stir in candy pumpkins and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment