Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Totally taken care of!

 

These are the people who installed our new furnace and air conditioner.  Part of the sales pitch that goes for all new furnaces and conditioners is that UP&L will give you a $2400+ rebate for installing an energy saving furnace and air conditioning units.  When everything was done, they went over how easy it would be for me to go on line and sign up for the rebate for the furnace, air conditioner and the new thermostat.  It all sounded simple and easy.  Neal asked me if I would be in charge of registering everything for the rebates and I agreed.

I got on line and started out doing exactly what they had told me.  As I pushed 'enter' for the website a notice came up that the website was no longer available.  I tried a number of ways to get to the rebate site but to no avail, so I called Thompson's for assistance.  The secretary told me that UP&L had changed their website and what the new site was.  I went back and typed in the new address and sure enough UP&L came up but, where to go from there?  Nothing was clear.  I struggled with it for a few hours and finally gave up.  The next week I called my neighbor and friend, Mindy L., and asked her if she could come over and help walk me through the computer rebate maze.  They had purchased the very same units we had just 6 months prior and she said it was easy to do.  She came over last Friday and we sat at my computer for over an hour and nothing worked.  She couldn't believe how easy it had been for her and now this new system was almost impossible to navigate through - and I will add here that she is very computer savvy!  We finally gave up and I called Thompson's back again and talked with the secretary about the trouble we were having.  I put her on speaker and she tried to walk us through it but it just didn't work so she finally said that if I came down to the office on Tuesday the 17th she would be happy to help me with it.  Sounded like a perfect and grand idea.

Tuesday morning I drove down to Thompson's, which is only 3 miles from our home.  I walked in and a young man came out and asked how he could help.  I said that I couldn't figure out the rebate maze and he said he would be glad to help me.  I really thought they were going to sit me down at a computer and walk me through it but he didn't!  He had me sit by him and he did the whole process for me!  All the time he was working on it he was saying how UP&L had changed their system and how incredibly confusing the process was now compared to how it used to be.  This young man not only made me feel "not stupid" but how frustrated so many of their customers had been with the new system.  He not only completed the whole process for me but he also did the thermostat paper work that has to be sent in.  He put that paper work in an envelope, sealed and put a stamp on it!  All I had to do was drop it in the mail box.   The whole process took about 30 minutes and I walked out of there with everything done.  

I was so relieved and happy and I felt like they deserved a reward for their kindness and time spent on me.  I drove right to Sees and got them a box of chocolates and took it back to them with a HUGE THANK YOU!  Even gave the young man a hug.  It was a BLUE letter day (don't want to say red).  I'll add here that the young man had a BYU logo on his desk!!!  PLUS, PLUS!!!

Sometimes there are advantages to being a nice, cute little senior and not being afraid to ask for help.  Ahhh yes, life is good!



No comments:

Post a Comment