Sunday, February 13, 2022

Sunday Thoughts

We have this picture hanging in our home.  It is one that Lynda Ann made for Neal and I a very long time ago.  I don't remember what the occasion was but I've loved it and refer to it often.  Lynda wrote the poem on top and took this picture of our gorgeous mountains with Mt. Timpanogos in the back ground.


Mountains remind us of the majesty and wonder of the Lord, and as I've studied the scriptures find that mountains are mentioned numerous times in the Book of Mormon and the Bible.  The mountains are rich with symbolism and meaning.  I've often said how grateful I am to live under the majesty of the Wasatch Mountains.  Our home is at the foothills of Mt. Olympus and I never look at the mountains without thinking about and thanking God for them.  When I'm in the mountains I always feel a little closer to Him and I fell His love for me.  

President Nelson said:  "Everything to do with becoming more like the Savior is difficult.  For example, when God wanted to give the Ten Commandments to Moses, where did He tell Moses to go?  Up on top of a mountain to get the Ten Commandments.  Now, Heavenly Father could have said, 'Moses, you start there, and I'll start here, and I'll meet you halfway.'  No, the Lord loves effort, because effort brings rewards that can't come without it."

I remember climbing to the top of Mr. Olympus.  It was a welcome challenge and I knew that there was beauty awaiting me at the top.  I had to stay motivated and focused along the journey no matter how hard it was or how bad I wanted to turn around and go back down.

We read that Nephi goes to the mountain often to pray.  Mosiah:  How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings.  The Brother of Jaren speaks to God on the top of the mountains.  Zions shall flourish on the hills and rejoice on the mountains. And the song, Let the mountains shout for joy.  So many references to mountains.

I think Christ uses mountains as symbols of faith so we will use patience, discipline and control to overcome our personal hardships.  

I love our mountains!

No comments:

Post a Comment