Saturday, September 28, 2019

Time for Jam

It is that time of year when the berries are ready to be put into jam.  I decided to take a day off of work and stay home and do some raspberry, strawberry and peach jam.  I spent the morning getting ready, making sure I had all the bottles cleaned and equipment ready to go.  I went to Costco the minute it opened and bought sugar, all the berries and then to Macey's to get the pectin.  Annie was coming in at 2:00.  I wanted to get as much done by 2:00 as possible.  I was able to finish the peach jam and the raspberry jam and got all the strawberries destemmed and smashed.  Ran errands with Annie and then drove to the Front Runner to pick up Neal from school.

I told Neal and Mallory that they were on their own for dinner.  I wanted to get the rest of the jam finished.  By 7:30 I had bottled over 130 pints and half pints of jam.  I divided them up and asked Mallory if she wanted to go with me to deliver the jam.  We first drove to Mindy's and from their out to Maren's.  By the time we got home it was nearly 9:30.  I was exhausted and went right to bed.  It was a good feeling to have finished the jam for another year.  Lynda Ann's jam is in the freezer waiting for me to take it out to her on Thursday.

Jam takes tons of sugar!!

 Still using mother's old bent up metal funnel.  I shall use it until I'm too old to do jam.  I hope Lynda Ann hangs on to it for nostalgia sake!


I have to admit that Gam's jam is amazing, especially my peach jam which I did for the very first time this year.  Mallory even said that she thinks it may have just moved up to her favorite!  

No comments:

Post a Comment