Saturday, April 14, 2012

Miracles happen every day!

This was one of those Saturdays that make you think you are living a nightmare!  We got a call from Maren at 8 a.m. telling us that Taylor was having a dance recital at Cottonwood High School.  Her three dances were 9:15, 12:45 and 1:45.  Mallory had a flute recital at the U of U Concert Hall at 2:30.  I had a two hour appointment with Lyndsy at 10:00 a.m. and Neal and I were hosting a dinner for his singles ward at 3 p.m.  Something had to go and so I had to opt out of my granddaughters performances because of time issues.  I got home from Lyndsy’s at 12:45 and began preparing the dinner.  I turned on the oven to start heating so I could put in the potatoes to bake and the roast to do the same.  About 10 after 1 I heard the oven beat at me and I remember thinking that it shouldn’t be heated up to 425 yet.  I looked at the settings and a number had come up – F-7.  I opened the oven door and NO HEAT!  I quickly checked my instruction book and F-7 means no heat and turn off the oven and call a repair service!  YIKES.  I had people coming for dinner and I didn’t have an oven that worked.  Panic struck for just a moment.  I realized the only thing I could do was get my roaster pan down, put the meat in the bottom and pile the tin foiled potatoes on the top of the meat, turn the heat to it’s highest setting and pray!  Well, pray I did.  I said that I new there wasn’t any magic to be done but if it were possible could I please have the dinner done by three so I could feed the guests.  I went about preparing the rest of the meal, setting the table and generally getting everything ready as if there were going to be a meal.  I did come up with a back up plan just in case things didn’t get done.  I would send Neal to get some pizzas and we could at least have a main course with the salads, rolls and vegetables.  By the way, I made home made rolls but with no way to cook them – they went in the garbage!  Neal ran to the store and bought some rolls.

Now, for the miracle.  We were supposed to eat at 3:00 p.m.  I checked the potatoes at 2:50 and they were obviously getting done but totally not ready to eat.  I thought, gosh if we only had another 1/2 hour the potatoes and meat would be done to perfection!  Guess what.  EVERYONE was a 1/2 hour late!  Honest.  Say what you want, but by the time everyone got there and sat down and I served up the dinner, it was 3:45 and the meal was done to perfection!  We had a wonderful visit with the Bishopric and young adults that we were honoring and the food was delicious!  Thank you for miracles. 

How often do we say little prayers and then don’t recognize that they were answered and forget to say “thank you”.  I told Mindy that last week I was walking along 13th East and needed to cross the street.  I waited for the light and when it turned green and the little walk man appeared I just about stepped off the curb but something held me back and in the split second of hesitation a truck came roaring by and had apparently not seen the red light and went through it!  Had I stepped out right when I intended, I would have been dead or seriously injured.  I cannot deny prayers being answered and guardian angels on my right and on my left protecting me and helping me along. 

I love my sign above my back door that says A. S. A. P.  Believe me, I do not leave the house without kneeling and thanking my Heavenly Father for the day and praying for safety for me and my family.  May we all be aware of the blessings we receive on a daily basis and acknowledge who is sending them down to us!

No comments:

Post a Comment