Monday, February 22, 2016

Giving me too much credit

I was at a meeting at the 21st South Government Center.  As I was coming down the staircase to the main floor, I opened the door and started out into the hallway that led past the day care center and to the parking lot.  I thought I saw some movement and heard a door shut at the same time.  I glanced at the door and saw a little boy standing in front of the closed door to the day care.  I thought it odd that this little boy was out in the hall by himself and kind of looked around for a parent assuming there was one close by.  There was no one in the entrance hall to the day care.  As I walked past the little boy, I thought I recognized him but wasn't sure and kept walking.  As I neared the door to the parking lot, I stopped in my tracks and my mind suddenly wrapped around the fact that it was a little boy, he was alone and his name was Emmett and belonged to Corinne Nelson who worked in the same building I did.  I turned around and couldn't see him but heard the door to the staircase just close.  I quickly went to the staircase, opened the door and looked up the first flight of stairs.  There was Emmett standing alone, looking frightened and tears welling up in his eyes.  I told him who I was and that I knew his mommy and would he come with me and we would find where he was supposed to be.  I walked up the stairs, took his hand very gently and slowly walked him down the stairs.  As we entered the main hallway, I looked again at the reception area of the day care and there was still no one there.  The door has a key pad on it so I couldn't get in and was a little confused as to just what I should do.  I finally decided that Emmett and I would find a place to sit and I would find Corinne's number and give her a call.  Just as we walked past the main day care door another door down the hall opened and one of the workers poked his head out and said that they realized they were missing Emmett.  I reluctantly handed him over and told the worker to be very gentle with Emmett that he was scared and was a bit traumatized.  The next morning I reported the incident to Corinne.  Needless to say, the day care people had some serious questions to answer.
I was surprised at work on Friday morning with some flowers from Emmett, a hug and a note thanking me for saving his life.


A very happy ending for a little 3 year old and his parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment