Sunday, October 5, 2014

184th Semi Annual General Conference

I love conference!  I can go way back in my memory as an early teen laying on the carpet in our front room and watching Pres. David O. McKay and the other apostles speak.  I loved the sun coming through the window and picking the spot on the carpet that had been warmed by the sun.  When I was in mutual (as we called it then) we got credit for watching at least one session of conference. 

This conference was incredible and filled with wonderful messages, such as “Ponder the path of our feet” quoted from Proverbs.  President Eyring spoke on personal revelation.  We need continuous revelation from God from the Prophet down to the parents in the home. 

Brother Nelson spoke on sustaining our leaders.  His quote, “Ye have not chosen me, I have chosen you.”

Sister McConkie:  We are lead by a true prophet and we sustain him.

Brother Hales:  Feast upon the words of Christ.  The Holy Ghost will testify to us what is true.

Brother Hamula:  Talked about the importance of the sacrament and that we should all partake of the sacrament with deeper desire of what Christ did for each of us.

President Monson talked about agency and that our decisions determine our destiny.  We shouldn’t worry about walking where Jesus walk we should walk as he walked.  Christ experienced disappointment, sorrow, temptation pain and suffering.  We will all experience the trials of life as did he.  Christ also taught us service, prayer, humility, peace, letting our light shine, to be morale and clean, to improve ourselves and to rescue those who have left the path.

I especially loved Brother Ballards talk about the “Old Ship of Zion”.  We should stay in the boat (stay with the church), the Lord is at the helm.  Wear our life jacket by studying the scriptures, loving and living the teachings of Jesus Christ and to hold on with both hands through prayer and study. 

And President Packard said, “Don’t be distracted” by earthly things. 

The whole theme of the conference was amazing.  It is always interesting to me that subjects are not assigned.  Each speaker is lead by the promptings of the Spirit.  Apparently we all need to be reminded to “stay in the boat. 

I’m so thankful that we have a living prophet and apostles.  I’m grateful for my knowledge that I am a daughter of a loving Father in Heaven and that I am on the boat holding tightly with both hands.  How I love this gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment